Wednesday, 22 August 2007

sugar free sugar cube


Operahouse are a bunch of young lads from Camden who make danceable guitar pop.

Had heard bits and bobs about this band after one of my friends at university, Alice, was raving about them, as she went to school with the drummer or something. I noticed they were supporting Tokyo Police Club in Nottingham at the Social so I thought I’d check it out. You can read what I thought of Tokyo here…

Operahouse produced a set of melodic, poppy numbers, at times reminiscent of the softer moments of the Maccabees with a dash of similar urgency. Forthcoming single, Diane, is really nice stuff, with the vocals of the two guitarists combining beautifully on lots of lines (I found myself wandering about the house, singing ‘little miss piggy’ to myself on random occasions). It really sticks in your brain with a great little chorus too. It’s certainly a step up from previous single, Man Next Door, which isn’t at all bad by any means. What I am trying to get across is that their skills as songwriters seem to be progressing nicely and after a few more months of support tours like the one they are currently doing, they should be set up to make a splash in 2008. They did look like they could do with a little more confidence on stage, but I think this will come naturally. They aren’t gonna change the world or anything, but it should be remembered that not everybody has to.

Operahouse - Diane (buy their last single here)

The Mercury Music Prize is on the horizon, and we’ve decided to make things interesting. I’d like Bat for Lashes to win, she is joint favourite with Amy Winehouse. It seems unlikely that either Dizzee Rascal or Arctic Monkeys, being previous winners, will be fortunate enough to win again. To pick either Klaxons or Jamie T seem way too easy a decision for the notoriously unpredictable decision making panel. It seems like the bookies know this too. So I’m gonna have a flutter on Bat for Lashes, and another on Winehouse, as no doubt she could do with the prize money to pay for rehab. I might also see what odds I can get on Foals for next year.

The new single from Foals, Mathletics, is out this week on vinyl. It’s not math-rock, I dunno what it is. Just go buy it because it won’t be on the album along with previous single, Hummer, which might be considered a bold move but it really isn't. I think in the music industry currently there is too much emphasis placed on milking a band’s best songs for all they are worth, and I don’t think it should be like this. Bands should be more forward-thinking, but it’s not always down to them I guess. Expect a feature on these lines soon. Myself and my fellow contributor, Mike, are on the case. Foals are on the Guardian’s podcast this week. Yannis is in an argumentative mood and it’s worth a listen just to hear him unleash vitriol on the music industry and Western society. This doesn't seem to have been blown out of proportion stupidly by the music press yet either (correct me if I'm wrong, please do), which is unusual in the current climate given that the band has something to promote. Or perhaps because he didn't name names, which would make it harder to write.

No comments: