Wednesday, 16 July 2008

radiohead @ lccc 29/06/08

Doing things in any kind of specific order isn't proving to be my speciality at the moment. A few weeks ago, I popped up to Manchester to see Radiohead at LCCC, supported by Bat For Lashes and MGMT.

I'm never really too sure what to make of these super, uber-huge stadium style gigs because usually they are complete organisational nightmares, where buying a drink takes about 2 hours and you feel like the bar queue is a mosh pit.

This wasn't as bad in that respect, compared to my previous visit a year ago to see Arctic Monkeys reach the apex of their touring for Favourite Worse Nightmare. Make of that what you will.

Radiohead were incredible. But I guess you expected that anyway. Paranoid Android was probably my highlight of a stellar set that included every song off In Rainbows except my favourite, House of Cards. The new record is easily their most exquisite, and has real moments of tenderness that made for a thrilling performance when combined with their older electronic Kid A period and earlier rockier periods. Thom Yorke is officially the master of the ethereal vocal.

I caught Radiohead when they toured Hail to the Thief and was left with similar emotions afterwards. Completely, utterly, amazing but just annoying that they didn't play the song you were hoping for. Sod's law I guess. It's the problem when you have such a back-catalogue to go through.

Here are some Radiohead songs that they didn't play, so you don't feel like you actually missed out on anything, in case you haven't seen them on this tour. They have a lot of quirky videos too, apparently this one was filmed without a camera. It's pretty futuristic...

Radiohead - House of Cards
Radiohead - Knives Out
Radiohead - Exit Music (For A Film)
Radiohead - High and Dry



MGMT live were disappointing. Really disappointing when I feel like Time to Pretend is easily one of the tunes, if not the tune of the year so far. Whilst we were queueing for our tickets outside, it sounded like somebody was just playing a CD...and upon gaining entry and getting closer to the action, it still didn't sound much better. I really don't understand why they think it's a good idea to prance around to a backing track of Kids instead of actually playing the damn tune?

Bat for Lashes on the other hand was great. She didn't play my favourite song either, but I shall forgive her. Her voice isn't quite as ethereal as Thom's either, but you can't have everything I guess. Maybe in time....

Bat for Lashes - Sad Eyes


So much stuff to blog about too little time. I'm going to Melt! in Germany this weekend. It's going to be incredible (Justice, Boys Noize, Whitest Boy Alive, Late of the Pier, Bjork, Battles). Expect a big festival round-up soon. Hang in there...good times are round the corner. And come to Respect is Burning tonight....I shall be spinning a few tunes with the record makers all-star crew.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Thanks very much for this excellent post, esp. the video. I went to YouTube to get more info about how it was made, which was quite fascinating.