Thursday, 16 October 2008

eugene mcguinness : nightshift


The other day I expressed a view misgivings as to whether the Eugene McGuinness album would cut the mustard so effortlessly and thrillingly splattered by the preceding mini-album, The Early Learnings...

The self-titled affair has been knocking around my shitty MP3 player for a week or so and I'm warming to its subtleties a lot. I was worried that there would be no moments of joyous exuberance to match the likes of Bold Street, Monsters Under The Bed & A Girl Whom My Eyes Shine For.

Nightshift weighs in at 1:38 and still packs one hell of a punch whilst including all the trademark McGuinnessisms like three bags full nursery rhyme lines allied to cooing falsetto breaks and jangly guitars. Surefire second single. It also maintains the weird atmosphere that surrounds his music that leaves me unsure what decade it is. At times, his voice and his delivery just belong to a bygone era.

Eugene McGuinness - Nightshift






visit his myspace////buy the album///get an acoustic version from keep hope inside


Now to some other views, this guy over at DrownedinSound seems to love the line about synchronising watches and meeting of crotches in Fonz. I don't like it, but maybe it's just that I don't like the fact my attention was brought to it before I'd actually heard it's delivery. Whoops, sorry, I didn't mean to bring it your attention. Great tune otherwise.

Something I would like to bring your attention to also is my new band. I'm not usually one for shameless self-promotion but this involves a party that's free, so I figured it would be good to share. The gig takes place this Saturday 18th October at Kensington Roof Gardens. Entry is free before 10pm and there is a drinks reception. You have to look sharp. It's because of the flamingoes they have there, they get upset if you aren't smart. My talents have now expanded from being able to sing well to also being able to play a Micro Korg synthesizer slung low around my hips. The name of this soulful jazz-punk sextet is Al Cool and the Stranger Wines. I'm fucking excited. Recordings to follow in a week or two and the Dirty Hands XFM session for John Kennedy should be rearing its head soon also. Enough about me, here is the flyer. You can ask questions but I may not answer them. Tunes speak for themselves.


email me here to go on the guestlist or invite your bad self on facebook.

4 comments:

Ami said...

Hi,

I greatly enjoyed looking through your blog at "http://shatteredsatellite.blogspot.com/2008/10/eugene-mcguinness-nightshift.html" and found an informative one for my theme related topics.I have also some entertainment,music,dish TV,satellite TV,music related sites and blogs. So,I think it would be beneficial for both of us if we will join in a community and become link partners to each other which will help your blog/site in getting more Google values.If you are interested then please contact me at-
ami.roberts86@gmail.com

Thanks
Ami

Anonymous said...

Je vous presente un nouveau blog qui vient d'ouvrir sur le theme de la mutuelle vous trouverai toutes les infos utiles
[url=http://mutuellecompareo.blogspot.com/]blog mutuelle[/url]

Jimmy choo outlet said...

Jimmy Choo Edna leather over-the-knee flat boots |Jimmy Choo Edna leather over-the-knee flat boots
Christian Louboutin Leopard Print Pumps |Christian Louboutin Leopard Print Pumps
Christian Louboutin Leopard Grain Pumps |Christian Louboutin Leopard Grain Pumps
Christian Louboutin Pigalle Pumps Black |Christian Louboutin Pigalle Pumps Black
Christian Louboutin Open Toe Red Pumps |Christian Louboutin Open Toe Red Pumps

Giuseppe Zanotti outlet said...

Alexander McQueen GILLY BOOT
Alexander McQueen Buckled leather ankle boots
Christian Louboutin Differa 140 sandals
Christian Louboutin Black Scrub Sheep Leather Evening Shoes
Christian Louboutin Armony Ankle Boots With Removable Cuff