Tuesday, 10 August 2010

weightless


Yesterday saw the official release of double A-side 'Hunting Roger Rabbit' / 'Six Severed Hates' by Entrepreneurs. Remixes coming soon from MASKS, Way Yes and Laurel Halo, but before that I figured I'd give you a bit of a behind-the-scenes peek at the final manufacturing stage.



The artwork was designed by Dan Jamieson and Katrin Rhys, based currently in Hackney Wick. Dan and I went to school, and even used to go to art workshops at the local library where I remember making treasure maps look old with tea bags. Nostalgia aside, Dan studied Painting at Camberwell College of Arts whilst Katrin studied graphic design at Kingston University. Blatantly both going to be rich and famous one day.


Their remit was to design artwork for the EP, their surreal face-melted beauty looking decidedly imposing, unsettling yet pretty which fits the music. It was too strong to omit from the 7", nostrils taking pride of place on side A. You'll see it crop up in the upcoming Revenge Platter video also.

Bathroom / printing plant.


This is a silk screen. Incredible to see close-up how this process actually works.



Everyone is different, due to the nature of screen printing in this way, which I like. Some have blemishes that aren't really blemishes, they provide character. The Stella Mortos logo comes in a multitude of different colours, ocean blue being my favourite. If any people familiar with Entrepreneurs' past would like to take a stab at why I named the label thus, post correctly in the comments and you'll win a vinyl. For the rest of you, get ordering. I have secreted a discount code somewhere in this post.

3 comments:

Mulrine said...

Loving this, Jehan!

Awesome, in the original meaning of the word.

Alasdair said...

Dunno why this just came to me but Stella Mortos = Dead Star(s) = "my teeth shine like dead stars" = The Nightclub Is Over, yes?

jehan said...

alasdair. send me your address you are a winner!!